Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yes, you can has cheezburger.

Alina and I were on a dusky stroll one Tuesday, when we encountered an adorable kitten. It immediately ran up to us, its little collar jangling insistently as it told us in kitty language why we should fall in love with it based solely on its cute kittenous nature. We gave it some love. I put on my best shrill talking-to-kitty voice and cooed lovingly. Wanting to know its name, we inspected the jangly collar. She was called Zhooey, with an "h." But the best part was this inscription on one of the tags:

"O hai! If I iz lost, plz take me hoem k thx!"

If the preceding jibberish looks like jibberish to you, that's because you are not familiar with LOLcats, the insanely popular time-wasting website devoted entirely to kitties and their bad punctuation and spelling.

Upon seeing that inscription, I felt like I was supposed to say some grumpy grandpa thing like, "What is this world coming to. That stupid website is infiltrating our precious vernacular, making us talk to our pets in some inane language, threatening any lingering hint of intelligence we might have as a society. What if that cat was really lost? It would probably die because I can't read the damn inscription on its collar."

Instead, I will say this:
I like LOLcats. I really do. And it really does make me LOL. There, I said it.


kthxbai.

No comments:

Post a Comment